Tuesday 9 July 2013

Huh? It's blue?

I was looking for a blue Viscount with fillet brazed frame so I can make it pretty and give to my friend. When I saw this bicycle on eBay, I couldn't resist. It also looked as if it was small enough for her. She felt that Shawn's borderline for her, and he's only 21", so I couldn't go larger.


After waiting at the window, glued to spot, all day, it finally arrived at 6pm. I flew down the stairs, eager to get it out of the cardboard and bubble wrap to see what I've bought. What I couldn't see in the small picture on eBay was that the bike came with all (bar a few) original features:

22" Aerospace sport frame (which, unfortunately, makes it too big for my friend)
Handlebar
Bar stem (with V pin!)
Brakes unnamed (Weinmann?)
Viscount front and rear centre pull brakes
Birmalux seat post
Birmalux wheels on QR Viscount hubs (quite stiff, the front)
Chrome fork (needs re-chroming)
Shimano Shifters
Shimano Tourney GS RD
Shimano 50 FD
Shorties (very rusty mudguards)
Maxi crank set, I think. And some heavy, deformed and rusty steel pedals (looks like Lyotard) which I'll probably discard.

I'll give the bike a good clean tomorrow, then inspect the hubs and and wheels, but I think with a little bit of TLC and new bearings, it can be a smashing bike.

Here are the pictures, which I'll just upload without any further comment. But: I've got my work cut out for me with this.













No comments:

Post a Comment